alcohol in antibiotic solutions?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at
Mon Oct 30 19:02:34 EST 2000

Probably it won't volatilize right away. The alcOH rather stays in
the medium. But apparently, it doesn't seem to matter much.
10% EtOH did not alter growth of 3T3 fibroblasts over several days in
my experience. Seems to be comparable with humans ;-)

> From:          rodneypettway at ("Rodney Pettway")
> Subject:       alcohol in antibiotic solutions?
> Date:          30 Oct 2000 23:36:00 -0000
> To:            methods at

> What happens to the alcohol that is used to dissolve some
> antibiotics (chloroamphenicol) after you add the antibiotic to your
> media?  Does it all volatilize off or what?
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at
usual disclaimers apply