Hand-held homogenizers in micro-centrifuge tubes

Mark Dowton Mark_Dowton at uow.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 18:19:12 EST 2000

A cheaper alternative is to flame melt an ART-tip into the eppendorf.  I
routinely do this with P200 tips for 0.6 ml tubes.  Just flame melt the
last 5 mm or so of a P200 tip in a bunsen flame, place the melt into the
bottom of the eppendorf with a little pressure, allow to cool for a
minute or so, then pull the solidified tip straight out (if you twist it
breaks at the join between the melt and the rest of the tip).  I haven't
tried it, but it might work with P1000 in a 1.5 ml tube.

--
Mark Dowton
Australian Flora and Fauna Research Centre
Email: mdowton at uow.edu.au

And

Dept Applied and Molecular Ecology
Waite Campus, Adelaide University