direct gfp observation

bturner at bturner at
Wed Sep 6 10:07:47 EST 2000

>From bsturner at Thu Aug 31 19:56 EDT 2000
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:56:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bradley Turner <bsturner at>
To: MOUNIR IZALLALEN <aah313 at>
cc: methods at
Subject: Re: direct gfp observation

Hello Mounir,

Clare Chemical <> produces
an item called the "Dark Reader" that emits *visible* blue
light (~450nm) and excites EtBr, Sybr dyes, and GFP at
this secondary excitation wavelength avoiding UV hazards.
Their web site has lots of information and GFP and DNA gel

Also, AlphaInnotech <> supplies
a "UV to Chromalight blue" conversion screen that will
convert any standard UV transilluminator into one that
emits around 460nm (visible blue) and will excite the above

Yet another company that makes a similar product albeit
a little more sophisticated (i.e. more expensive) is
Light Tools Research <>
Their web site also has lots of information and GFP

With all of these I think that you will also need an
orange filter that they will supply.  Supposedly it is
easier to see GFP containing bacteria on plates with
blue light because there is no autofluorescence of the
agar/media that is seen with UV excitation, and of course
there is much less DNA damage.

Hope this helps,
Brad Turner [no affiliations]

                    Bradley Turner
                Beth Israel Deaconess
                    Medical Center

Harvard Medical School          617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology    617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 605                   bsturner at
330 Brookline Avenue            bturner at
Boston, MA 02215                bsturner at