TOP10- good strain for DNA sequencing?

Neil Saunders neil.saunders at unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 7 07:53:26 EST 2000

"Student" <mucineer at iname.com> wrote in message
news:8p7ngu$e7k$1 at oyez.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk...
> Has anyone had any problems with sequencing plasmid vectors cloned in E
coli
> TOP10 (Invitrogen)? I have found that it gives me very low signals from
time
> to time and sometimes the signals tail off prematurely. Has this got
> anything to do with the carbohydrates it produces? Is there anyway to get
> round this apart from using another strain? Which ones are good in this
> repsect. Many thanks.

Strains are one of those funny things where everyone has a personal
experience.  I'd say a good quality kit will overcome strain problems most
times (eg Promega Wizard).  Have a read of the Promega or Qiagen literature,
they normally talk about preferred strains for plasmid sequencing.
Personally I've found TOP10 OK but it wouldn't be top of my list.  XL1-Blue
is often touted as a star performer in this respect.

Neil Saunders
--
School of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of New South Wales,