mobility of His-tagged proteins

Emir Khatipov ekhatipo at NOmidway.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 7 11:49:13 EST 2000

Hi,
My collegue is expressing a short (~7kD = 250bp) His-tagged peptide. He sees
2 distinct bands on his SDS-PAGE (Tris-Gly, 4-20% gel), and believes that
for some reason one band may be the higher MW of the tagged protein, and
another of the non-tagged one. His Westerns show that the lower molecular
band is the one of the tagged protein. Would 6His cause increased mobility?
So far I was aware that 6His may retard the mobility, but these were the
observations I learned from the web with higher MW proteins (20kD and up).
Could someone comment on that?
Thanks
Emir