Making own gel dryer

Penny May Avoles Kianian P_Kianian at ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 13 13:25:05 EST 2000

Hi Mike
        For drying the mini polyacrylamide gels with a hairdryer they are in
the frames that BioRad sells.  They are about 1 inch wide, square in shape,
with the center square area missing to allow air to reach both sides of the
gel and clamped along the edges during drying.  I have seen other
researchers us a flat piece of glass/plexiglass with a matching piece of
plexiglass with the center cut out (where gel sets) and the two pieces are
clamped together using  the black metal clips typically used to hold office
paper together.  These frames are alittle slower for drying but they are
very inexpensive since they can be easily made.
        I hope this clarifies my hairdryer approach.
Penny

--On Wednesday, September 13, 2000, 10:43 AM +0100 "Michael Witty"
<mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Penny, can you give us details: do you clamp the gel in position
> using anything (to prevent the gel bending) - and so on.  Mike
> On 12 Sep 2000, Penny May Avoles Kianian wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>         I have dried my small polyacrylamide gels in cellophane just
using a
>> hairdryer in about 15-30 minutes.
>>
>> Penny
>>
>> --On Monday, September 11, 2000, 2:30 PM -0400 Gary
>> <gkrause at med.wayne.edu.spam> wrote:
>>
>> > How can I make my own gel dryer for plyacrylamide gels?  Already have
>> vacuum
>> > pump and oven.  Thanks.
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >

>> ---