Antifoam in DNA isolation?

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Thu Sep 14 15:07:06 EST 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:44:34, Vince.Mulholland at sasa.gov.uk (Vince Mulholland)
wrote:

ð I want to use a mixer-mill to disrupt plant leaf material for DNA
ð isolation. The lysis solution I want to use contains SDS, so will
ð produce a lot of bubbles. If I can't minimise the formation of bubbles
ð there will be a real risk of cross-contamination of the DNA (for use in
ð PCR). Is there an antifoam which is compatible with most types of DNA
ð isolation reagents?
ð ---

Depending on the design of the mixer, it may have a foam arrestor attachment
(Waring blendors do), or you could make one yourself--a sheet of polypropylene
which covers the surface of the liquid and prevents air from entering the
liquid.

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at UKans.nospam.edu              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |   http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |