DNA stick to agarose gel!

Krzysztof Wasowicz wasowicz at moskit.uwm.edu.pl
Tue Sep 19 06:08:37 EST 2000

Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>I get that sometime in DNA extracts.  I put it down to "dentatured DNA"
>stuck in the well or some fluorescent contaminant that copurified with the
>DNA.  In any case I don't think it is something to worry about.  Is it
>plant DNA?
>
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Rajeswari Srinivasan wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>> I extract DNA by CTAB method and purify by phenol chloroform
>> extraction.After washing I dry the DNA to remove ethanol
>> completely.Still,everytime, in agarose gel ,part of the DNA sticks to
>> the well.Can anybody suggest me some remedy?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Rajeswari

It may happen that what you see in the well is high molecular mass DNA
which simply refuses to enter the gel because of much-too-long
molecule.
Krzysztof Wasowicz, DVM, Ph.D.
Dept of Animal Anatomy
University of Agriculture and Technology
Bldg 105J
10-957 Olsztyn-Kortowo II
Poland
Phone:+48-89-5233733,5233688, Fax:+48-89-5234986
e-mail:wasowicz at moskit.art.olsztyn.pl