tracking dye / Orange G

Jan Hoolwerf hoolwerf at geocities.com
Thu Sep 21 13:11:04 EST 2000

Hello Sophie!

On Thursday September 21 2000, Sophie Launey wrote to All:

 SL> dye and came across Orange G dye. However, I cannot find
 SL> information
 SL> about possible toxicity (and subsequent appropriate handling and
 SL> disposal) for this dye (the only info I've found is "The
 SL> toxicological properties of this material have not been
 SL> investigated.")

I use Orange G from Sigma and the label on the bottle only says:
Irritant.

On the Sigma web site i found the complete Material Safety Data Sheet
and i will send you this info by e-mail because it's to large to post
here.

A small exerpt:

SECTION 3. - - - - - - - - - - HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION - - - - - - - - -
  LABEL PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS
    IRRITANT
    IRRITATING TO EYES, RESPIRATORY SYSTEM AND SKIN.
    IN CASE OF CONTACT WITH EYES, RINSE IMMEDIATELY WITH PLENTY OF
    WATER AND SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE.
    WEAR SUITABLE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING.

SECTION 11. - - - - - - - - - TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION - - - - - - - -
  ACUTE EFFECTS
    MAY BE HARMFUL BY INHALATION, INGESTION, OR SKIN ABSORPTION.
    CAUSES EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION.
    MATERIAL IS IRRITATING TO MUCOUS MEMBRANES AND UPPER
    RESPIRATORY TRACT.
    TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE, THE CHEMICAL, PHYSICAL, AND
    TOXICOLOGICAL PROPERTIES HAVE NOT BEEN THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED.

 SL> I wonder if anyone is using Orange G, and if so how do they deal
 SL> with
 SL> it?

Yes, we use it for agarose gels.

 SL> Or if there are other alternate tracking dyes that would migrate
 SL> faster than the bands of interest and leave no residue?

Not that i know off. And imho all dyes are things to be carefull with
:-)

regards, Jan Hoolwerf