PAGE problem

David J. Meyer, Ph.D. meyerdj at
Mon Sep 25 15:26:35 EST 2000

As far as I know, "Trizma" is a Sigma trademark for their Tris. Trizma base (Tris base) of even "regular" Sigma grade will produce acceptable results, although the more pure grades may be desirable. The real problem comes if Tris (Trizma)-HCl is used, and NaOH or similar is used to adjust the pH; this has the effect of adding salt (and if a "recipe" is used without regard to molarity, will result in the wrong Tris concentration). For anything but the Tris-glycine-SDS tank buffer, Tris base and Tris-HCl can be mixed to produce the correct pH and concentration buffer (remember the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?).

Hope this helps.

David J. Meyer, Ph.D.
Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
    "Paul S. Brookes." wrote in message < at>...
    Make sure your Tris is the correct grade.  It HAS to be Tris, electrophoresis grade.  I had this problem about a year ago and found it was because I used Trizma to make up solutions - apparently they are not the same thing!   The CSH mol-bio manual (book 3, section 18 I think) has a good explanation of this.   If you use the correct grades of Tris and Glycine, it should not be necessary to pH the solutions at all, they should automatically go to 8.3 if you add the correct amounts.
    Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at
    UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
    1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
    Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
    The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up