PAGE problem

David J. Meyer, Ph.D. meyerdj at phibred.com
Mon Sep 25 15:26:35 EST 2000

As far as I know, "Trizma" is a Sigma trademark for their Tris. Trizma base (Tris base) of even "regular" Sigma grade will produce acceptable results, although the more pure grades may be desirable. The real problem comes if Tris (Trizma)-HCl is used, and NaOH or similar is used to adjust the pH; this has the effect of adding salt (and if a "recipe" is used without regard to molarity, will result in the wrong Tris concentration). For anything but the Tris-glycine-SDS tank buffer, Tris base and Tris-HCl can be mixed to produce the correct pH and concentration buffer (remember the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?).

Hope this helps.

David J. Meyer, Ph.D.
Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.