chemistry question

Simon Cross pcxsc at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 07:39:36 EST 2000

Arginine can be a nucleophile, but is not as good as lysine or maybe histidine.
It depends on the pH of your buffer - the pKa of residues can change from the
'norm' if in hydrophobic pockets, but if you try doing a pH profile of the
reaction you can see at which pH the guanidinium group of the arginine becomes
protonated and less nucleophilic which should stop the reaction. The chemistry
would probably be a straightforward SN2 displacement of the UDP by the
guanidinium nucleophile.Hope this is of some use,

Simon