absolute ethanol

R. John Lye rjl6n at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 29 09:00:42 EST 2000

Jonathan Warawa wrote:

> I need to keep a stock of 100% ethanol absolutely absolute for use in
> critically drying tissues for scanning electron microscopy.  Does anyone
> know if there is some moisture absorbing reagent which I can keep in the
> ethanol (ie CaCl2 or activated charcoal) that will absorb out the water
> which is sure to contaminate my ethanol due to moisture in the air.

When I needed to do this for electron microscopy purposes, we dumped
some moleculr sieves into the ethanol.  I'm not sure if you need to get a
particular size pore, but I suspect that a perusal of a manufacturer's
catalog would tell you what you need to know about these sieves.

Hope that helps,
John