computational analysis of sequences

Sergio sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es
Wed Apr 4 04:36:13 EST 2001

I got a similar problem, and solved it in a not very elegant way.
The baylor college of medicine offers a batch server to analyze many sequences,
but you should install it into your computer and, at least in my case, it didn't
work (http://searchlauncher.bcm.tmc.edu/downloads/software/batch_client.html) .
So i was almost resigned to send the sequences of my ORFs one by one (they were
only fifty, so it was not a big deal) using the web server from the EBI,
(http://www.ebi.ac.uk/) opening around 10 or 12 navigator windows at a time.
Finally i found faster, and less resources spending, to send the sequences via
e-mail to this server, so i wrote a very simple C++ program wich found the ORFs
and generates .txt files with the information the server needs (one ORF per
file), and afterwards i sent the files pasting them in a e-mail template (once
you get the rhythm with the mouse and Ctr-C Ctr-V you can do it very fast... but
everyone will look at you asking what's wrong with you... too much coffee
maybe?) . If you are more skilled in programming maybe you would prefer to make
a program which could send the sequences by its own... and share it  ;-).

Sergio