cells for protein expression

Sun Apr 8 10:37:08 EST 2001

wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw ("Wolfgang Schechinger") wrote:
:Hi all,
:
:what kind of cells do you normally use for protein
:expression?

Those that work best :-)

:I would like to generate a cell line stably expressing a protein
:that is secreted into the medium by overloading the lysosomes
:(producing of course as much as possible ;-). At the moment, we
:are using Balb 3T3 fibroblasts with pretty good results.
:However,  I'd prefer using cells of human origin for
:some immunocompatibility reasons. Is there any cell line you
:would like to recommend?

I have no idea and the answer probably depends heavily
on your specific protein and promoter used. IMHO, the
first choice to try is HeLa. Human, grows in suspension
to very high densities, very sturdy, cheap (IIRC, many
strains don't require FBS), is known to be able to
produce a lot of protein.

        - Dima