Stability of sticky ends.

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Mon Apr 9 21:19:32 EST 2001

Well, I think the stability depends on two things:
1. Buffering
2. cleanliness.

If those two standards are met, restrtiction digested DNA may be stored
almost indefinitely. I have vector preps from 1993 that I am still using
with no noticeable difference in ligatability  (is that a legit word?).

At 05:28 PM 4/9/01 GMT, CHMC wrote:
>There is someone in my lab who likes to restriction digest a lot of DNA and
>save it in the freezer.  I believe that the sticky ends are not completely
>stable, and tend to go away over time.  However, I can't remember where I
>learned that so I don't know if it is true or just my superstition.
>
>Does anyone have any information on the stability of sticky ends?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
College Asst. Prof.