Sv: Real-time from Corbett-Research

Dr. Duncan Clark news at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 03:22:16 EST 2001

In article <3AD407E2.8306417E at cuhk.edu.hk>, the eminent Y.F.LEUNG at
CUHK wrote
>Do you mean that the smartcycler is not very suitable for higher throughput?

Well what do you mean high throughput. The machine only has 16 positions
which kinds of limits how many assays you can do. Sure you can daisy
chain up to 9 machines together but that then gets v.expensive for
essentially a 96 well machine.
>Is there any advantage over our similar product? I read from smartcycler
>homepage that "Purchase of this instrument does not convey any right to
>practice the 5´ nuclease assay or any of the other real-time methods covered
>by patents owned by Roche or PE." How does this limitation affect the
>experiment?

The right to practice PCR for research use is granted to any user
through buying licensed PCR reagents and using them on an authorised
thermal cycler.

The right to practice the 5' nuclease assay is currently only granted
through the purchase of licensed PCR reagents from ABI. You can buy
licensed PCR reagents, from any number of suppliers, that will give you
a working 5' nuclease assay. It is just that so far only ABI have a
license for selling reagents that assay. Roche/PE have yet to get around
to granting licenses even to the already licensed PCR enzyme
manufacturers. I believe the wheels are in motion on this but they turn
very very very slowly within these enormous companies.

The SmartCycler machine is an authorised machine so using the ABI
reagents  to do a 5' nuclease assay on that should be OK.

Duncan
--
Homogeneous Fluorescent Reporting Systems for Real-Time Quantitative PCR:

Optimisation, Probe Technology & Future Systems

4-5 September 2001
King Alfred's College, Winchester, UK

http://www.dera.gov.uk/html/news/events/real_time_quantitative_pcr.htm