Q: Protein Staining. How to make SimplyBlue?

Wed Apr 11 17:27:32 EST 2001

Woo Cheol Lee <aa96081 at mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
:I'm interested in staining SDS-PAGE gel with
:non-toxic reagents. I think SimplyBlue from
:Invitrogen is somewhat expensive just to
:purchase. Anyone know how to prepare 'custom'
:SimplyBlue?

I don't know if you'd consider TCA or phosphoric acid
less toxic than methanol and acetate, but IIRC, "Simply
Blue" is just a colloidal Comassie G-250. Can be made
with TCA or phosphate (in the later case it would be
simply Bradfod solution).

        - Dima