Dialysis speed

Wed Apr 11 18:15:13 EST 2001

ybao at noble.org ("Bao, Yiming") wrote:
:My original question was:
:
::Would the dialysis speed of 7M Urea into pure water be slower than, equal
::or faster than into a 20X SSC solution?
:
:Thanks for the following three replies, which all agreed that dialysis
:against water is faster.

:None of them though gave solid theory to support
:their claims, so I am not very convinced.

And I think all three gave quite solid support for an obviously correct
answer. You see, the dialysis membrane here is completely irrelevant
part of the issue. Presumably, you are talking about regular dialysis
membrane with cutt-off on the order of 10 kDa. Thus, all the components
listed (Na, citrate, urea, water) will diffuse freely through it, at a rate
practically the same as their diffusion in free solution. Thus, you can
visualize it for yourself as if it were just step gradients consisting of
SSC/urea or water/urea. Then the question you are asking is "which
one will equlibrate (e.g. intermix completely) faster?". Clearly, things
will diffuse slower in the solution of  higher density/viscosity, and that
means urea will dialyze faster against pure water.

:Then I decided to do a simple
:experiment to test this.  I put equal amount of water or 20X SSC in two
:little weighing-boats, and added to each of them a drop of 7M Urea solution
:containing some bromphenol blue as an indicator.  The result was quite
:dramatic.  The dye spread almost instantly on the surface of 20X SSC, while
:it defused slowly in water.
:
:So here comes more questions:  Does this test tell us what is really going
:on during dialysis?

No. Not at all. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Does this result indicate that dialysis against 20X SSC
:is actually faster?  If it does, could anybody explain why?

No, it does not. You notice that the dye spread
on the surface in one case. You don't mention that
it sunk in another case, but it did happen (urea being a lot
denser than water). So the two situations are completely
not comparable. In the former case, you can't expect
urea/dye solution to just sit as a drop on the surface
of a solution with higher density - so it spreads all over.

HTH,

       - Dima

:Thanks a lot.
: