how to determine the number of plates required for

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:36:08 EST 2001

It is the total number of clones that you need to screen, that is of
consideration. A rule of thumb for effective screening is to have between
150 to 200 colonies/plaques per 90mm plate. Of course, the spreading has to
be good no matter how many colonies/plaques you can screen.

At 03:29 PM 4/13/01 -0000, feixie wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>I plan to screen a cDNA library of human testis by homologous
>hybridization.
>The protein to identify is estimated at 5% of the total protein in human
>testis. The library has 10(8) clones/ml, and we could screen up to 10(4)
>clones in a 90mm plate. Could you tell me how to determine the number of
>plates required for screening?
>

><http://www.biowww.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1748&t=1748>

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
College Asst. Prof.