Please suggest the software for DNA sequence management

Sergio sergioal at bbm1.ucm.es
Tue Apr 17 03:59:38 EST 2001

Well, i cannot suggest the program to use, but i suggest NOT to use DNAstar from
lasergene (just in case someone else suggests it). I'm sorry to say this, but
after buying this "not really cheaper" program package for PC (running under
windows 9x), we haven't got good experiences. Strange fatal errors, complicated
functions, poor compatibility with the rest of the windows programs and even
among the package programs (i.e. you cannot open a sequence in the Sequence
Editor if it's already opened in the Map Draw, and this program doesn't allow to
edit the sequence, the Protean program stops for no reason). And the printer
options are the summit of this disaster, speacially from the Map Draw program
(the on that should be used to see any sequence with annotations, features,
restrictions sites, etc). In my humble opinion, it's not worthy to go for this
package. The only programs which work fine are the primer designer and the
sequence assembler (not easy to use though).

Sergio Alonso
(No affiliation to any software or hardware company... just a discontent user)