RPA with a DNA probe?

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Fri Apr 27 16:26:06 EST 2001

In <9ccddo$434$1 at fe2.cs.interbusiness.it>, Stefi~ wrote:

>Hi every1. I need to do a "RPA" (Ribonuclease Protection Assay) using a DNA
>probe. What kind of modifications should I get to do this?

That's called a nuclease S1 protection, and it actually predates RPA by some
time. Standard mol. biol. technique books (Molecular Cloning, Current
Techniques, etc.) should have a protocol, and now that you know what it's called
you know what to look for.

If you need a protocol, I can e-mail you one.

>Furthermore, what
>does urea do in an Acrylamide Urea gel electrophoresis?

Denatures the nucleic acid strands.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis