Gel storage before immunoblotting

Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Sat Apr 28 10:28:50 EST 2001

Yes, following Cu-staining, you are able to transfer to any matrix of your
choice and the Cu does not transfer to the matrix (naturally!).

Cu-staining is said to be more sensitive that CBB-R staining (~5x). Indeed,
I have been able to detect bands on a Cu-stained gel that are undetectable
in CBB-R stain. I think only Ag-staining is more sensitive. However, since
the staining is negative, the ease of visualization of polypeptide bands
depends on the resolution in the gel.

The staining is *completely* reversible  (0.25M EDTA - a little high, IMO
-- in Tris.Cl, pH 9 (100mM)). The polypeptides are not irreversibly *fixed*
and, IMO, there lies the methods usefulness, among others. I usually do
Cu-staining for electroeluting my polypeptide of interest.

The other usefulness of this method is that one can detect the bands very
rapidly once PAGE is done (BTW, seems to work only with SDS-PAGE). So,
during routine purification of protein samples or during standardization of
 a protocol, a quick set of minigels (<1h), 5 min Cu-stain followed by
photography allows one to have a permanent record very quickly. The
photographs look as good as those of positively stained gels (like those of
CBB-R or Sypro-orange-stained gels).

hroychow at nmsu.edu

---