software for simple DNA sequence editing

Francis Durst francis.durst at bota-ulpnospam.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Aug 2 12:08:19 EST 2001

In article <3b6849a7.3341653 at news.gwdg.de> nvahsen at hot[nospam]mail.com    (remove the [nospam]) (Nicolas von Ahsen) writes:
>From: nvahsen at hot[nospam]mail.com    (remove the [nospam]) (Nicolas von Ahsen)
>Subject: software for simple DNA sequence editing
>Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:28:06 GMT

>Dear all,

>I am looking for a simple software tool were I can paste a DNA
>sequence, format it in say, blocks of 10 bases and 50 bases each row
>and were I can put an arrow over 20 bases and a text saying "forward
>primer" or a box around six bases and the text "XbaI site". This
>sounds very simple and useful, doesn't it?
>Is anyone aware of such a software?
>Thank you very much.
>Nicolas

Try Word with a fixed font like Courrier. You can manipulate
blocks (columns) by ALT + mouse, draw lines and boxes,
annotated in different fonts, change color of residues, etc.

For elaborate decoration of alignments you can use Alscript
(http://barton.ebi.ac.uk/manuals/alscript/alscript.html)
which is powerful but a real pain to use cause you define
all editing in a script (no Wisiwig).

Francis