how-to-count-cells

Tue Aug 7 18:24:46 EST 2001

<arturo.garcia-horsman at uku.fi> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I was wondering if anybody knows a method to determine the number cells
>growing in a 96 well plate. Something like measuring the turbidity
>(absorbance) or refringence, other than actually counting them. I don't
>have access to a cell counter, and I don't want to spend hours counting
>them below the microscope well by well.

You can readily use any "viability" kit.Those typically measure some
cellular function/reaction that can produce color changes. I can only
remember MTT assay now, but basically anything will work as long as
i) the response is linear vs number of cells (or easily calibrated) and
ii) the activity is not present in the medium. Pecularities of what you
are trying to achieve will dictate the rest.

        - Dima