SDS debate

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Aug 9 19:23:52 EST 2001

From: _Biophysical Chemistry. Part II: Techniques for the Study of Biological
Structure and Function_  Cantor, CR and Schimmel, PR. WH Freeman & Co. (1980),
pp. 679-680.

"... SDS is an effective protein denaturant. It binds to all proteins
qualitatively the same, at about 1.4 g per gram of amino acid. There is one
negative charge on each SDS molecule. The resulting charge density due to all
the SDS in the SDS-protein complex more-or-less overwhelms variations in the
charges of different protein molecules. ... Charles Tanford and others have
studied the structure of SDS-protein complexes. Hydrodynamically, they appear to
be prolate ellipsoids or rods with a constant diameter of about 18 angstroms and
a length that is linear function of the molecule. ..."

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu