silly? phenol question

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 06:51:33 EST 2001

On 13 Aug 2001, Wolfgang Schechinger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What actually is the reason for storing phenol in the dark
> fridge? Does the reddish couloured compound (that evolves
> when you store it on the shelf) harm DNA work?

People say that the red stuff harms DNA, but when I have used pink phenol
to make minipreps, nothing bad happend to my DNA.

BUT my way of getting around this problem is to use phenol + chloroform
all the time.  I think it is better because it does not go red so much
(chloroform vapours drive off oxygen gas?) and also it is easier to remove
from an aqueous interface.  This may all be just prejudice though.  Mike.