heat-resitant proteases?

Roland Hübner roland.hubner at ua.ac.be
Mon Aug 13 12:31:54 EST 2001

> I thought about subtilisin which is included in some laundry detergents.
> I have no idea how stabile subtilisin is at 70C.

Hi again,

 but with "biologic" detergents one typically incubates at 37°C for 1
hour! Well recognized time and energy waste...

 Hence the search for "cold enzymes" that work at room temp or below
(especillay for all those with lack of space --> washing machine on
terrace, during winter...)

 Mammalogists -- and perhaps forensic pathologists too? -- tend(ed?) to
clean skulls with laundry detergent & boiling... thusly, perhaps enzymes
survive a while to do the job...  I remember this , because one should
open windows, otherwise you won't survive easily the smell... phew!
[On the other hand beetle larvae used to clean the bones are also
slightly smelling when crowded, but the results are cleaner...]

 Back to proteases; why then not incubate ProtK at 80°C for 5-10 min
(with SDS and urea, and some Ca++ to keep max. stability)? [Perhaps you
haven't yet seen my other reply to the initial request: "PRE Taq" has
a max. activity at about 75°C...

 Good luck,
  Roland