silly? phenol question

Richard P. Grant rpg14 at yahoo.co.uk.invalid
Tue Aug 14 07:26:25 EST 2001

In article
<Pine.LNX.4.21.0108141515080.23601-100000 at biochem.iisc.ernet.in>,
 skg at biochem.iisc.ernet.in ("SURESH KUMAR K.G.") wrote:

> When it goes off, it turns red, but again the transition point is
> difficult to tell. If its red even with HQ, better discard it.

I was, in fact, making the point that the yellow->red transition is
difficult to see.  I've not used HQ since, oh, 1992, being able to
resolve the interface with most tubes in use.

tip:  Store phenol (10 ml aliquots) under tris at -20.  To make PCI, add
10 ml CHCl3:IAA and mix.  Store *that* at -20, too.  Doesn't go off, and
the small aliquots reduce the burn/death hazard.  (100 ml phenol down a
leg is *not* pretty).

--
Richard P. Grant  0x5F9559B1                         MRC Lab of Mol Biol
rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk   http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/