What type of mutations occur during PCR?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 16 09:58:46 EST 2001

Trond Erik Vee Aune wrote:

> Hi
>
> The frequency error-rate when doing PCR with pfuTurbo is 1.3x10-6. Does
> anyone know what kind of mutations is the most usual? For example, is
> frame-shift mutations as usual as substitutions? I would guess that it's
> more frequent to experience substitutions than deletions and additions.

Substitutions are definitely more frequent that insertions and
deletions, but there are also variations in the frequencies of different
types of substitution.

Take a look at;

Dunning AM et al (1988) Errors in the Polymerase Chain reaction.
Nucl.Ac.Res. 16 pp10393

and

Fromant, M et al (1995) Directed random mutagenesis of gene-sized DNA
fragments using Polymerase Chain Reaction.  Analyt. Biochem. 224
pp347-353

Hope this helps

Simon.