fluorescence question

Balaji Kannan balajik at newton.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 17 03:40:16 EST 2001

hi all
    i was using a cyanin dye called 5' Cy3 that is supposed to emit max at
570 nm.. when i analysed my sample to check if it contained the cyanin dye,
i got a big emission peak at 535 nm and a much smaller one at 554 nm. the
whole emission spectrum from this point onwards is flat. i am very sure that
there is no other fluorescent material in my sample. my question now is- are
these peaks convincing evidence that my sample has the cyanin dye? i mean,
is it okay for a dye that emits max at 570 to give some peak at 535/555 nm?

    thanks
    balajik