Question re; B-galactosidase

Ivor Bradley IvBradley at -nospam-hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:34:53 EST 2001

Does anyone know much about B-galactosidase expression.

I transfected some cells months ago with a B-gal (CMV) vector and at the
time there was only about 0.2% cells blue.  The cells were fixed in
glutaraldehyde etc and stored in glycerol (60%).

I reviewed the cells yesterday and there is about 10-155 of cells are blue?/

Why is this.  Can the cells take up B-gal when they are fixed etc, or did I
maybe just miss the maximum expression time the last time (although I am
sure I looked at them a week after fixing).

Any help will be gratefully received

Ivor