Origin of Life

Vivek Vish Grubberic at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 22:28:45 EST 2001

At one point, I was convinced that kaolinite was where amino acids
originally polymerized and where life formed.  Kaolinite had a large surface
area, protected the newly formed macromolecules from radiation, and allowed
the polymerization of left-handed amino acids, which is the type of amino
acid that all life on earth has, though when amino acids are synthesized in
a lab, both right- and left-handed ones are made.

However, I read in a recent text book that this theory had little proof and
that deep sea vents was where life originated.  The amino acids polymerized
on the sulfides released from the vents. The book did not back their claim
up with any proof save that a species of archaebacteria was found in a deep
sea rift that had somewhere around 60-75% unique DNA (I don't remember
exactly) and said that that meant it split off early after life was first
created. How did enough nitrogen dissolve and reach the bottom of the ocean
and form amino acids? Why didn't the newly formed polypeptides break down as
the water and heat caused hydrolysis? What's the proof that life started in
around deep sea vents as opposed to kaolinite?