Quick DNA Prep for PCR?

R. Jayakumar jakku at mrna.tn.nic.in
Thu Aug 23 13:36:28 EST 2001

Dear Rinehart
    I used to use this protocol for extraction of very good quality DNA from
leafhoppers during my MSc. days several years back.  It shouls work out for
beetles too. I am not sure of the reference, but I can dig it out for you if
you really need it.
 1.  The leafhoppers crushed in a glass tissue-homogeniser in ice cold LEB
(20mM Tris-HCL (Ph8.0), 4 mM EDTA, 0.5M NaCl, 0.2% 2-Mercaptoethanol).
 2. SDS added to a final conc. of 1%
 3. Incubated at 65C for 5 min. and potassium acetate added to 1.25 M final
conc.
 4. tubes were incubated on ice for 30 minutes and centrifuged at 15000g for
20min.
 5. Supernatants extracted once with an equal volume of phenol:chloroform
and twice with chloroform (I don;t think addition of Isoamylacohol would
cause any problem).
 6. Nucleic acids were ethanol precipitated (2.5Volumes). and collected by
centrifugation at 12,000g for 20min.
 7. Given a 70% wash and airdried or vacuum dried for a few min. and then
dissolved in appropriate volumes of TE (10mM Tris (ph8.0), 1mM Edta).