Quick DNA Prep for PCR?

dbell dbell at qnis.net
Thu Aug 23 18:03:13 EST 2001

I am currently on a project isolating DNA from the head and thorax regions
of individual insects.

1)   I am using 300ul of a basic CTAB extraction buffer, 50mM TRIS; 0.7M
NaCl; 10mM EDTA; 1% CTAB; 50Ul/ml 2-mercaptoethanol.  Grind in utube with
sea sand using a dremmel
2)   incubate at 65*C 1 hr,
3)  equal volume chloroform:isoamyl alcohol extraction,
4)  remove 200ul upper aqueous phase to new tube
5)  equal volume isopropanol + 10% Na Acetate ppt
6)  incubate at -20*C ~ 20 min
7)  Centifuge and decant supernatent.  Air dry pellet
8)  dissolve pellet in 50ul TE,
9)  RNase,
10)  add 2.5 volume ETOH and 1/10 volume Na Acetate
11)  Repeat steps 6 - 8, ba-da-bing!

Those quicky preps can really degrade genomic DNA.  If your marker is
small, sometimes they work, but if you have a marker >500bp you are better
off getting good quality, high molecular weight DNA to start with - IMO.
Hope this helps
Deanne Bell
USDA Agricultural Research Service
2021 South Peach Avenue
Fresno, CA 93727
(559) 453-3170
(559) 453-3088 fax

On Thursday, August 23, 2001 10:37 AM, J. Rinehart