Quick DNA Prep for PCR?

oswaldo oswaldo at iats.csic.es
Fri Aug 24 02:33:09 EST 2001

 However, the
> unidentifiable individuals often number in the hundreds, and so we are
> looking for a rapid, non-labor intensive method of getting DNA out of
> these to run our PCR reaction on.

Two methods that are worth a try:

- Chelex resin extraction method (boiling individuals with 500ul 5%
chelex and using supernatant for PCR). I can look for the original
reference (in Biotechniques 1991), but a search in google might just do
it.

- DNAzol extraction. This reagent from Gibco Life Technologies is more
expensive but also very simple to use. Check out their technical
bulletins.

Good luck

O.P.