DNA methylation question

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw
Mon Aug 27 23:47:20 EST 2001

Hi all,

Could you noble experts plase help me out?

What doest it exacly mean when a restriction enzyme is
blocked by OVERLAPPING Dam methylation? Is there also a
something called non overlapping methylation?

Do I understand the phenomenon correctly in that example:
XbaI (TCTAGA) does not cut the sequence GATCtaga since
there will be methylation on the reverse strand at the position
of the T (then an A) of GATC, yielding TCTAGAm on the
reverse strand?
(when using any standard E. coli strain for propagation of DNA)

Thanks for all input,

Wolfgang
[tiss mezzage wahs broduceRd using TYPO GENERATOR zoffwer]
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger
Lab N233 (c/o Dr. Steve Roffler)
Institute of Biomedical Sciences
Academia Sinica
128 Yen-Chio Yuan Rd. Sec.2
Taipei 115
Taiwan R.O.C.
Tel +886-2-2789-9152
Fax +886-2-2782-9142
Mobile +886-925-136893
e mail wolfsc at ibms dot sinica dot edu dot tw
-----

---