Alternatives to EtBr

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu
Fri Dec 14 10:15:19 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:14:54 +0000,
    Duncan Clark (junk at 127.0.0.1) wrote:
> In message <slrna1jufs.r5g.aiyar at ebv.mimnet.nwu.edu>, Ashok Aiyar
><aiyar at ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> writes on the Fri, 14 Dec 2001
>>1993?  Darn newbies. :)  Found my first from '89 in Google's archive.
>
> Any advance?

Not really -- same questions.  We're still discussing the toxicity
of EtBr (for one thing) :-)

> One thing I think would reduce a lot of repetitive posts would be the
> old FAQ if it was ever updated (and no I'm not volunteering). It used to
> be posted every month or so back in the middle 90's - Paul Hagen I
> think.

That's Paul Hengen -- and yes, I think that is a lovely idea.  Not only
did Paul's FAQ reduce repetitive posts, but it also contained lots of
useful information -- such as a simple protocol to make competent cells.

Anyone know where is Paul these days?  He was a postdoc with Tom Schneider,
but I don't think he is there any more.

Regards,
Ashok

P.S. In the late '80s, to "popularize" BIOSCI, Dave Kristoferson used
to give presentations and seminars at various institutions about bio.net
and the newsgroups -- guess that doesn't happen anymore ....
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor                    email: a-aiyar at northwestern.edu
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339