Alternatives to EtBr

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Fri Dec 14 10:15:19 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:14:54 +0000,
    Duncan Clark (junk at wrote:
> In message <slrna1jufs.r5g.aiyar at>, Ashok Aiyar
><aiyar at> writes on the Fri, 14 Dec 2001
>>1993?  Darn newbies. :)  Found my first from '89 in Google's archive.
> Any advance?

Not really -- same questions.  We're still discussing the toxicity
of EtBr (for one thing) :-)
> One thing I think would reduce a lot of repetitive posts would be the
> old FAQ if it was ever updated (and no I'm not volunteering). It used to
> be posted every month or so back in the middle 90's - Paul Hagen I
> think.

That's Paul Hengen -- and yes, I think that is a lovely idea.  Not only
did Paul's FAQ reduce repetitive posts, but it also contained lots of
useful information -- such as a simple protocol to make competent cells.

Anyone know where is Paul these days?  He was a postdoc with Tom Schneider,
but I don't think he is there any more.

P.S. In the late '80s, to "popularize" BIOSCI, Dave Kristoferson used
to give presentations and seminars at various institutions about
and the newsgroups -- guess that doesn't happen anymore ....
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor                    email: a-aiyar at
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339