OT: Science and Sociology, was Re: Alternatives to EtBr

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Tue Dec 18 13:48:01 EST 2001

In
<Pine.SGI.4.33.0112180053310.4755888-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>,
Michael Witty wrote:

[...]

>> . . . I read a sociology article once . . .
>
>Shouldn't a Scientist know better?

I was in a bookstore the other day, and I ran across an interesting book
called  "The Sokal Hoax : The Sham That Shook the Academy."
[Here is a link to amazon:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0803279957/qid=100870042
2/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/102-8875117-9499325>]

It's about an incident in which a physicist (Alan Sokal) submitted a bogus
article to a "postmodernist" journal called "Social Text," which printed the
article, and the ensuing fallout tht happened when he revealed that the
article was complete nonsense -- just impenetrable jargon that was a
parody.

It looks like a very entertaining read.

Nick

--