contig assembly

R. John Lye rjl6n at virginia.edu
Wed Feb 7 12:49:22 EST 2001

Claudia Sutton wrote:

> Greetings all... What assembly program are you using? What programs would
> you avoid, and why?  thanks for any replies.   claudia

I was looking for contig assembly programs about a year ago.  DNAStar
(Lasergene) and Sequencher both have contig assembly modules. Both
companies offer demos, as I recall.  I ended up using the Phred/Phrap/Consed
set of programs from the University of Washington Genome Center. They
are not especially easy to set up or to use,but they do exactly what I
needed, and they do it very well.

Hope that helps,
John