Favourite gene name?

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 04:45:37 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Dima Klenchin wrote:

> Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> :> I like "cheap date", a Drosophila mutant with increased alcohol
> :> sensitivity.
> :
> :One tragic case was the scientists (from a non-english speaking country)
> :who gave their Fucose Kinase sequence a name too obvious to mention.
>
> Oh, LOL! Can hardly believe this is for real!
>
>         - Dima

Dear Dima,
         sadly, it is true.  See the swissprot file below for proof.
Mike.

!!AA_SEQUENCE 1.0
ID   FUCK_HAEIN     STANDARD;      PRT;   470 AA.
AC   P44399;
DT   01-NOV-1995 (Rel. 32, Created)
DT   01-NOV-1995 (Rel. 32, Last sequence update)
DT   30-MAY-2000 (Rel. 39, Last annotation update)
DE   L-FUCULOKINASE (EC 2.7.1.51).
GN   FUCK OR HI0613.                          <========================
OS   Haemophilus influenzae.
OC   Bacteria; Proteobacteria; gamma subdivision; Pasteurellaceae;
OC   Haemophilus.
OX   NCBI_TaxID=727;
RN   [1]
RP   SEQUENCE FROM N.A.
RC   STRAIN=RD / KW20 / ATCC 51907;
RX   MEDLINE=95350630; PubMed=7542800;
RA   Fleischmann R.D., Adams M.D., White O., Clayton R.A., Kirkness E.F.,
RA   Kerlavage A.R., Bult C.J., Tomb J.-F., Dougherty B.A., Merrick J.M.,
RA   McKenney K., Sutton G., Fitzhugh W., Fields C.A., Gocayne J.D.,
RA   Scott J.D., Shirley R., Liu L.-I., Glodek A., Kelley J.M.,
RA   Weidman J.F., Phillips C.A., Spriggs T., Hedblom E., Cotton M.D.,
RA   Utterback T.R., Hanna M.C., Nguyen D.T., Saudek D.M., Brandon R.C.,
RA   Fine L.D., Fritchman J.L., Fuhrmann J.L., Geoghagen N.S.M.,
RA   Gnehm C.L., McDonald L.A., Small K.V., Fraser C.M., Smith H.O.,
RA   Venter J.C.;
RT   "Whole-genome random sequencing and assembly of Haemophilus
influenzae
RT   Rd.";
RL   Science 269:496-512(1995).
CC   -!- CATALYTIC ACTIVITY: ATP + L-FUCULOSE = ADP + L-FUCULOSE
CC       1-PHOSPHATE.
CC   -!- PATHWAY: SECOND STEP IN FUCOSE METABOLISM.
CC   -!- SIMILARITY: BELONGS TO THE FUCOKINASE / GLUCONOKINASE /
CC       GLYCEROKINASE / XYLULOKINASE FAMILY.
CC
CC   This SWISS-PROT entry is copyright. It is produced through a
collaboration
CC   between  the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics  and the  EMBL
outstation -
CC   the European Bioinformatics Institute.  There are no  restrictions on
its
CC   use  by  non-profit  institutions as long  as its content  is  in  no
way
CC   modified and this statement is not removed.  Usage  by  and for
commercial
CC   entities requires a license agreement (See
http://www.isb-sib.ch/announce/
CC   or send an email to license at isb-sib.ch).
CC
DR   EMBL; U32743; AAC22272.1; -.
DR   TIGR; HI0613; -.
DR   InterPro; IPR000577; -.
DR   Pfam; PF00370; FGGY; 1.
DR   PROSITE; PS00445; FGGY_KINASES_2; 1.
DR   PROSITE; PS00933; FGGY_KINASES_1; 1.
KW   Fucose metabolism; Transferase; Kinase.
SQ   SEQUENCE   470 AA;  51949 MW;  9FAEE26213E9AB7A CRC64;

FUCK_HAEIN  Length: 470  February 8, 2001 09:42  Type: P  Check: 8849  ..

       1  MAIALIFDCG ATNLRTIAIN EKGQILASHH LANNTKQGIE SSDYHIWDIE

      51  EIWQKLTSCA TQTLNQLMQQ GIDLKDIVGI SVTTFGVDGA PFDENDQQLY

     101  PIISWKCPRT IPVMENLSNQ LDIKSLYQRN GIGQYSFNTL FKLHWLKTHK

     151  PDVFQKMAKF VFISSMLTQR LTGQFTTDHT MAGTSMMTNL TSGNWDPSIL

     201  ASLGLSNNHF PPMRYAGEKV GKLRTPLAQK WGLNPVPVIS CGHDTQFAVF

     251  GSGAGLNQPV LSSGTWEILM ARTQHAEPRF EFVSQGLTTE FDAQSNCFNP

     301  AVQWVGSGVI EWLGKLLFSD VYGSDHYYTT MIKEGEKAFN AGKRAVNFEG

     351  IFSQLGQGNI SGLSMFATRG EIYVSALQHM ANKLKNGLSV LHQVSQFQAK

     401  SLICVGGGSK NVLWNQIRAN TLNLPIDVVD ISESTVLGAA MFTFAGVGIY

     451  ENVNAAQQAM QPTRKRIYPN