5'untranslate sequence (5'UTR)?

Victor L. levenson at northwestern.edu
Thu Feb 8 19:27:23 EST 2001

On the same note: long 5' UTRs are energrtically unfavourable for
ribosome scanning. Ribosome binds via cap-binding and a bunch of other
proteins at the extreme 5' end of the message and has to scan till the
first canonical ATG within a right Kozak sequence.

Cheers,

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 17:13:08 GMT, nvahsen at hot[nospam]mail.com
(remove the [nospam]) (Nicolas von Ahsen) wrote:

>The average (human) 5'UTR size is around 210 bp. Average from I think
>400 sequences.
>Every gene should have some 5'UTR for ribosome binding!?!
>
>Best regards
>Nicolas
>

>University Hospital Goettingen
>Internal Medicine
>Dept. Klinische Chemie/Clinical Chemistry
>Dr. med. Nicolas von Ahsen
>Robert-Koch-Str. 40
>37075 Goettingen
>Germany
>
>On 3 Feb 2001 03:29:09 -0000, saengtongp at yahoo.com (saengtong
>pongjaroenkit) wrote:
>
>>Dear all,
>> I study on gene regulation. Since my gene have 5'UTR but
>>it was not in previous report. Then questions are:
>>
>> Are there some gene that does not have 5'UTR?
>> What is the average length of 5'UTR?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Saengtong Pongjaroenkit
>>
>>Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics,
>>Mahidol University, Bangkok Thailand

>>Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35
>>a year!  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
>>

>>---

Victor Levenson
Director of NUBL