Any concerns about using DEPC treated water?

"Hamel, Andre AGR AHamel at agr.gov.mb.ca
Tue Feb 27 17:38:11 EST 2001

Hi netters,

I would appreciate if any/all could share their experiences/concerns about
using DEPC treated water for RNA/DNA work.

My own experience since 1985 has been to avoid using such water. I prefer to
exercise sterile technique throughout the lab
in order to minimize contamination of RNA/DNA. So far, no problems.

I wonder why Gibco-BRL sells DNase/RNase free distiled water instead of DEPC
treated dH2O?

Please post all replies to this newsgroup. I will post all email replies
that don't get posted to this newsgroup.

Andre Hamel, Scientist, Virology Laboratory, Veterinary Services Branch,
Manitoba Agriculture, 545 University Crescent,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA  R3T 5S6    TEL: 204-945-7630;    FAX:
204-945-8062;    Email:  ahamel at agr.gov.mb.ca

---