Any concerns about using DEPC treated water?

tyson tyson.graber at
Wed Feb 28 16:53:11 EST 2001

There should be no concern with the use of DEPC treated water...autoclaving
breaks it down into ethanol and carbon dioxide.

DEPC in itself is not carcinogenic, but reacted with ammonia it forms
urethane, so DEPC should be treated just like any other hazardous
chemical...use it in the fumehood etc...

...also DEPC forms naturally in ethanol solutions exposed to CO2
sparkling wine!

"Hamel, Andre (AGR)" <AHamel at> wrote in article
<45524439D771D311BF3E0090274F0456023B8939 at>...