Any concerns about using DEPC treated water?

tyson tyson.graber at nrc.ca
Wed Feb 28 16:53:11 EST 2001

There should be no concern with the use of DEPC treated water...autoclaving
breaks it down into ethanol and carbon dioxide.

DEPC in itself is not carcinogenic, but reacted with ammonia it forms
urethane, so DEPC should be treated just like any other hazardous
chemical...use it in the fumehood etc...

...also DEPC forms naturally in ethanol solutions exposed to CO2 ....eg.
sparkling wine!

"Hamel, Andre (AGR)" <AHamel at agr.gov.mb.ca> wrote in article
<45524439D771D311BF3E0090274F0456023B8939 at wpg001ex6.gov.mb.ca>...
> Hi netters,
>
> I would appreciate if any/all could share their experiences/concerns
about
> using DEPC treated water for RNA/DNA work.
>
> My own experience since 1985 has been to avoid using such water. I prefer
> exercise sterile technique throughout the lab
> in order to minimize contamination of RNA/DNA. So far, no problems.
>
> I wonder why Gibco-BRL sells DNase/RNase free distiled water instead of
DEPC