Digital Camera

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 13:59:51 EST 2001

In article <000701c0761e$f3798de0$4c0efea9 at byeongha>,
byeongha at U.Arizona.Edu ("Byeong-ha Lee") wrote:

Hello there.

> Hello,
>
> Our lab is looking for a good digital camera to document plant samples
> either in pots or on plates.
> Sometimes we need close-up images as well.

Firstly, could you give us an idea of the price range. IE
300pounds/dollars or 3000pounds/dollars

> Could you recommend one to us? (Note this is not for a gel documentation.)

IN the cheaper range of cameras:-
The SONY Mavica and later models have a good reputation since they can
capture 15 secs of MPEG in addition to clear images.

However
The only digital camera I have seen working to full is one of the Olympus range.

For full spec have a look at

http://www.photodesk.ltd.uk/

I've met Chris at photodesk and he always gives a clear NON-Sales review.
IE He tells it like it is.

He also wrote the Satalite imaging software that you see on  weather
station reports and Photodesk (a bit better than Photoshop) so he should
know about publishable specs. :-)

Therefore if they only sell Olympus then you can bet these have good image
quality.

> Also we'd like to know if the images taken by the digital camera are
> publishable.

Consider the resolution of the image that thge journal would require eg
600dpi and you will only need a camera that can outperform this. I don't
think the Sony will be good enough for this. Also remember that a monitor
will show RGB compared to CMYK on the printout. (unless you use
greyscale).

So look for some manipulation software that does TRUISM or dye simulation.

For RISC OS you can use Photodesk for manipulation and Vantage for
simulation manipulation.

I don't Imagine you have an Intel StrongARM RiscPC sionce you are in the
US so I cant recomend PC software.

Cheers
Bob; Sunny Scotland
--
Robert Hartley, Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,
Glasgow G12 8QQ Tel:++44(0)141 330 4756
Fax:++44 (0)141 330 3730 mailto:rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Web : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Inter/CellEngineering