FPLC and crumbling rubber o-rings

John Philo "jphilo*NO SPAM12*" at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 19:18:12 EST 2001

I can't offer any specific advice about alternative o-rings, but since
I've not encountered or heard of this problem with FPLCs, I'm suspicious
that there is something in your lab environment that is causing this. In
my experience, ozone is usually the culprit in labs where rubber objects
die rapidly. Is there a UV lamp near your FPLC (other than the one in
your absorbance monitor for the FPLC, which I don't think causes such
problems)?

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories