Fw: thermal cyclers and gel documentation system

Deanne Bell dbell at qnis.net
Wed Jan 10 11:28:07 EST 2001

> From: "P.J. v. Santbrink" <santbrin at CHEM.LeidenUniv.nl>

> We've to buy a new thermal cycler and our old fashioned polaroid system
> is finally breaking down so we're also looking for a gel documentation
> system.
> We now have the Biometra trio thermoblock (the old one) and I know they
> have the newer version, the T3 Thermocycler. The sale reps of course say
> that it's the best there is, but I would like to know how it really
> works on the lab bench, so any good/bad experiences with with the T3 ??
> Also, any thoughts on the Primus 96 HPL Thermal cycler from MWG Biotech
> As for a gel documentation system we're looking at the GeneGenius from
> Syngene and the ImaGo 500MZ. Any good/bad experiences with these
> systems, and maybe some tips on other gel documentation systems ??
> any response is much appreciated
> Greetings from Holland
>
> Peter

Hi Peter
We have an Alpha Imager 2200 gel documentation system from a company called
Alpha Innotech Corporation - www.alphainnotech.com -  (no affiliation) and
I am quite pleased with it.  This system is much more sensitive than my old
polaroid system.  I can automatically assign molecular weights and I also
find the spot densitometry option quite handy for quantification of DNA in
my preps.  We also work with protein gels.  The resolution of the camera
was not sufficient for our 2D PAGE gels - we ended up going to a scanner.
But this system has been great for SDS, Isozyme, and westerns.  If you do
any type of colony counts on petri dishes, this sytem can automatically
detect between diferent types of colonies and count each type separately.
Images can be saved in a variety of formats and we have used them in
publications.
I am in the USA and I don't know if this company has gone international,
but I understand BioRad has a similar system.

Hope this helps

Deanne Bell
Molecular Markers Lab Technician
USDA Agricultural Research Service