homologue vs orthologue?

Emir ekhatipo at NOSPAMmidway.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 10 12:39:51 EST 2001

Simon,
Do you think my understanding of paralogs and orthologs is correct? I sort
of figured out a less professional determination, so I wonder whether my
view lacks some depth.
1) Paralogs are the genes with the same function belonging to the same
genome. E.g., E. coli has several genes for glutamine synthetase. So,
paralogs share horizontal functional homology.
2) Orthologs are genes with same function belonging to different genomes. As
a result of convergent evolution, orthologs not necessarily share
significant similarity (though they share similar functionally significant
domains). Thus, orthologues share vertical functional similarity.
Emir

news:3A5B228D.2E78255 at bbsrc.ac.uk...