homologue vs orthologue?

Errol E.S.Kwan at Massey.ac.nz
Wed Jan 10 16:45:21 EST 2001

Paralogues do not have to have the same function, but have to show
some level of being homologues.  For example I think it's a human
globin gene and a human immunoglobin gene that have a high level of
similarity but different functions.  Because of the high level of
sequence  similarity then homogeneity can be inferred, even though
they have different fuctions.