Proteome

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 05:21:49 EST 2001

"R. Koenen" wrote:

> Hello,
> The proteome consists of about 100,000 proteins.

Which proteome would that be then (all proteomes are not created
equal!)?  Where did you get the figure?  As far as I am aware there has
yet to be a definitive answer to this question (as least for higher
organisms), all figures are just someones best guess!

> Does somebody perhaps know how many of these proteins are described.
> A ref would be nice.

Probably the best place to go for this sort of information is the
Ensembl project.  They are continually updating predictions about the
human genome, including the assignment of coding region predictions.
Their page is located at;

		http://www.ensembl.org/

If you're after a non-eukaryotic proteome then there may well be
specific projects dedicated to that as well.

Hope this helps

TTFN

Simon.