What is Informatics?

James Campanell campanellj at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Jan 15 13:46:51 EST 2001

Oh please!

bioinformatics is so much more than something an MBA came up with. It is a
real and important biological discipline! And, the subject has really only
been extant for the last fifteen years or so. It is a sub-discipline of
molecular genetics. Bioinformatics is the analysis of DNA and protein
sequences to discern any elements of information that may be there. For
example, how do you analyze a 10,000 basepair DNA sequence to determine
where all the endonuclease cutting sites are, where any open reading frames
may be, where likely promoter sites may be, etc. Bioinformatics is a fusion
of computer science, statistics, and genetics where the goal is to develop
software with the ability to perform pattern recognition functions.... how
is that for a full definition?

Jim Campanella,
professor biology
Montclair State University

>An MBA "buzz word" for what we biochemists have been doing for the last 100
>years.
>
>Rich Miller
>
>jep sontag wrote:
>
>> I am wondering what "Informatics" is and what area does Informatics cover?
>> .   jep

---